The Great Graphite Experiments

graphite tests.JPG

My Leviathan project has been held-up an extra week while I test and choose the proper medium. I was going to go with just straight graphite pencils but wanted a deeper, richer black and was unable to achieve it without adding a tremendous sheen from the effect of burnishing the graphite onto the surface in order to darken the tones.

So after more tests yesterday I’ve decided to use a combination of charcoal and graphite.

I discovered that charcoal renders these amazingly rich, dramatic blacks that are exactly what I want for this piece.

Thus, today I begin – and yes, I will be filming the WIP.

Until next time …